Women who apply to become surrogate mothers must undergo a comprehensive screening process in order to be accepted into Circle's surrogate program. The screening process helps us understand motivations to become surrogates, their support systems as well as physical and emotional histories.
The surrogate screening process is an important step in determining the strongest, healthiest and most successful surrogate mothers to be matched with intended parents.
When a woman first applies to become a surrogate mother, she will undergo both a Prescreening and a Screening process.
During the Prescreening process, the below information is obtained from/about surrogate mother candidates:
• Health and pregnancy history
• Criminal and financial background checks
• Insurance information
• Medical Records (to be reviewed by a consulting physician)
If women meet the criteria to become a Circle surrogate after prescreening, they will progress to the screening process.
Each surrogate applicant must participate in an in-depth interview with a Circle social worker, as well as undergo a psychological exam.
During the social worker screening, which can last approximately 2-2.5 hours, surrogate applicants are asked about the following:
• Motivation to becoming a surrogate
• Pregnancy history
• Family and interpersonal relationships
• Hobbies, interests, life experiences
• Support network (women will be asked to identify a Primary Support Person for the duration of their journeys)
• Her surrogacy journey expectations and preferences (including the level of communication with intended parents and the type of intended parents she'd prefer to work with)
• Her views regarding termination and selective reduction
Once a surrogate mother applicant completes her social work screening and psychological testing, she will sign a form known as the "Commitment Letter", which says she has considered all aspects of surrogacy and is ready to move on to the next step: matching with intended parents!
Surrogate applications started each month
Average number of women who are accepted each month
Number of women who start the application monthly and who are accepted in our surrogate program