If you live in California and you're considering becoming a surrogate, you're in luck. The Golden State is one of the best states in the nation for both surrogates and intended parents.
All fields required
California has long been known as a great location to pursue surrogacy (for both surrogates and intended parents). Its favorable surrogacy laws have allowed Circle Surrogacy to successfully match surrogates with intended parents since Circle’s inception in 1995.
California’s favorable statute recognizes contracts for gestational surrogacy arrangements as well as egg, sperm, and embryo donations. The state’s comprehensive law protects the rights of the surrogate, the intended parents,the baby, and the egg donor (if one is needed). Even in cases where the statute is not fully followed, California’s 20-plus years of positive case law tends to fully protect the parties.
Establishing parentage for surrogacy in California is a seamless process for everyone involved. Generally, surrogates in California won’t ever appear in court. Even in cases where a post-birth action is warranted (i.e. intended parents citizenship needs), the surrogate won’t need to appear in court. The parties simply need to review and sign legal documentation and return to the attorneys handling the matter.
In order to qualify to become a surrogate, here are some requirements an applicant must meet:
- Has delivered a child of their own, and is currently parenting at least one child.
- Has had uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries, as documented by medical records.
- Is between 21-41 years of age.
- Typically has a Body Mass Index (BMI) of no higher than 33. Calculate My BMI.
- Is a citizen, legal resident or legal immigrant of the United States. If a surrogate is a legal resident or legal immigrant of the United States, the surrogate must be able to provide documentation that is valid for at least 2 years.
- Does not participate in the following government aid programs: cash assistance, welfare, public housing and section 8. All other forms of government assistance will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Location, location, location! Surrogates who live in California are in close proximity to some of the country's best fertility clinics with whom Circle has established relationships. In some instances, you may be working with intended parents using these clinics, which would reduce the amount of travel you would have to do.
- Gain an incredible sense of self-fulfillment from giving the greatest gift humanly possible to another family
- High compensation with a customized benefits package
- Work with a personal program coordination team and licensed social worker
- Opportunity to work with local and international Intended Parents