If you live in California and you're considering becoming a surrogate mother, you're in luck. The Golden State is one of the best states in the nation for both surrogates and intended parents.
California has long been known as a great location to pursue surrogacy (for both surrogates and intended parents). Its favorable surrogacy laws have allowed Circle Surrogacy to successfully match surrogates with intended parents since Circle’s inception in 1995.
California’s favorable statute recognizes contracts for gestational surrogacy arrangements as well as egg, sperm, and embryo donations. The state’s comprehensive law protects the rights of the surrogate, the intended parents,the baby, and the egg donor (if one is needed). Even in cases where the statute is not fully followed, California’s 20-plus years of positive case law tends to fully protect the parties.
Establishing parentage for surrogacy in California is a seamless process for everyone involved. Generally, surrogates in California won’t ever appear in court. Even in cases where a post-birth action is warranted (i.e. intended parents citizenship needs), the surrogate won’t need to appear in court. The parties simply need to review and sign legal documentation and return to the attorneys handling the matter.
Women from California who would like to apply to become a surrogate mother must meet the following requirements:
- Has delivered a child of their own, and is currently parenting at least one child.
- Has had uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries, as documented by medical records.
- Is between 21-41 years of age.
- Typically has a Body Mass Index (BMI) of no higher than 33. Calculate My BMI.
- Is a citizen, legal resident or legal immigrant of the United States. If a surrogate is a legal resident or legal immigrant of the United States, the surrogate must be able to provide documentation that is valid for at least 2 years.
- Does not participate in the following government aid programs: cash assistance, welfare, public housing and section 8. All other forms of government assistance will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
High surrogate pay and great benefits are what women from California can expect when becoming a surrogate mother. Here are some of those benefits:
- Location, location, location! Surrogates who live in California are in close proximity to some of the country's best fertility clinics with whom Circle has established relationships. In some instances, you may be working with intended parents using these clinics, which would reduce the amount of travel you would have to do.
- Gain an incredible sense of self-fulfillment from giving the greatest gift humanly possible to another family
- High compensation with a customized benefits package
- Build a life-long relationship with forever-grateful intended parents
- Work with a personal program coordination team and licensed social worker
- Opportunity to work with local and international Intended Parents
Circle is the world leader in this field, bringing over 25 years of experience and passion to California surrogacy. When you work with Circle, you know we’ll be with you every step of the way - from the day you begin exploring surrogacy to your meeting with the prospective parents, throughout your entire pregnancy to birth, and beyond.
This comprehensive support is exactly why Circle has become so renowned among those seeking a west coast surrogacy solution. We’ll help you navigate the screening process, ensure you match you with the perfect intended parent or parents, and guide you through the legal and social work aspects of surrogate parenting.
The Circle team is deeply passionate about our work, and many of us are experienced surrogates ourselves. (Some have completed three journeys!) That means we’re not just bringing you world-class expertise in the myriad legal, social, and medical aspects of your surrogacy process. We’re delivering hands-on guidance that’s informed by our experience. Our team is ready to answer any question you can dream of (and then some).
The Circle team will also connects you with outside experts, and you can be sure that they’re just as skilled and trustworthy. For instance, when it’s time for you to review legal contracts, we’ll recommend an attorney who we’ve worked with previously, and who has a strong working knowledge of Assisted Reproduction Technology law. It’s just one more way we can clear the path for you and make the entire surrogacy program as seamless as possible.
At Circle, we really do think of ourselves and our clients as one big family - and we hope you feel that during the entire surrogacy process.
For many California surrogacy candidates, the question of who you help is crucial. After all, you and the prospective parents are going to join together on an incredible and intimate journey. You want to be sure that you connect with and trust them fully. That’s why Circle built an extensive and thorough matching process.
To get you started, a member of our matching team will try to find the perfect intended parent(s) for you, based on personality fit and legal circumstances. You’ll get to review each other’s profiles, ask questions, and generally feel each other out. There will also be an initial Skype call, and possibly an in-person meeting. It’s all about making sure both you and the intended parent(s) feel completely comfortable with the match. And of course, the surrogacy agreement only moves forward if you do.
Circle works with single parents, LGBTQ+ and heterosexual couples, domestic and international couples, and more. We’re confident you’ll be able to find a great match.