Women who want to become surrogate mothers in Texas are lucky: Texas offers favorable surrogacy law, excellent medical care and IVF centers in Houston and Dallas. Texas is a great place for surrogates and intended parents.
Texas is one of the few states that have kept up with the scientific advances of assisted reproduction, making it a surrogacy-friendly state.
In Texas, the law governs gestational surrogacy arrangements— making them valid and enforceable— and allows surrogates to receive compensation for their time and services. Establishing parentage is seamless as Texas surrogates relinquish their parental rights before the baby is even born. Further, intended parents are recognized as the child’s legal parents upon his or her birth certificate. The statute eliminates the need post-birth legal proceedings, such as a post-birth order or second-parent adoption. This generally means surrogates won’t ever appear in court. Even in cases where a post-birth action is warranted (i.e., intended parents citizenship needs), the surrogates won’t need to appear in court.
In order to qualify to become a surrogate, here are some requirements an applicant must meet:
- Has delivered a child of their own, and is currently parenting at least one child.
- Has had uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries, as documented by medical records.
- Is between 21-41 years of age.
- Typically has a Body Mass Index (BMI) of no higher than 33. Calculate My BMI.
- Is a citizen, legal resident or legal immigrant of the United States. If a surrogate is a legal resident or legal immigrant of the United States, the surrogate must be able to provide documentation that is valid for at least 2 years.
- Does not participate in the following government aid programs: cash assistance, welfare, public housing and section 8. All other forms of government assistance will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Location, location, location! With close proximity to cities like Dallas, Houston, and Austin, Texas surrogates have access to quality care at some of the world’s best medical centers.
- Gain an incredible sense of self-fulfillment from giving the greatest gift humanly possible to another family
- High compensation with a customized benefits package
- Work with a personal program coordination team and licensed social worker
- Opportunity to work with local and international Intended Parents