Read all about what it it will take to become a surrogate in the state of New York once it's made legal. Circle works with gestational carriers from all over the east coast. While New York doesn't yet allow surrogacy, we are hopeful to begin working with NY women in the next year.
Circle Surrogacy is hopeful to start working with surrogate mothers from New York in the upcoming year. Until then, see below to learn about the requirements for surrogates in other parts of the country.
If you're thinking about applying to become a surrogate mother once it's legal in New York, here is a list of surrogate requirements that you must meet:
• Has delivered a child of their own, and is currently parenting at least one child.
• Has had uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries, as documented by medical records.
• Is between 21-41 years of age.
• Typically has a Body Mass Index (BMI) of no higher than 33. Calculate My BMI.
• Is a citizen, legal resident or legal immigrant of the United States. If a surrogate is a legal resident or legal immigrant of the United States, the surrogate must be able to provide documentation that is valid for at least 2 years.
• Does not participate in the following government aid programs: cash assistance, welfare, public housing and section 8. All other forms of government assistance will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Who decides what surrogate mother requirements are?
Circle adheres to the set of requirements put forth by IVF clinics and the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) when determining if a woman qualifies to be a gestational carrier.
In addition to meeting the surrogate requirements above, all surrogate applicants will participate in social work screenings and psychological evaluations.
Surrogate pay is determined by a few factors:
1. the state you live in
2. whether or not you have insurance
3. if you are an experienced surrogate
First time surrogates from a high-demand state can expect to be paid up to $60,000. New York will be considered a high-demand state once surrogacy is accepted. The reason for this is that New York is on the east coast, close to major airports that make it easy for intended parents to fly in and out. Plus, some of the world's top IVF clinics are located nearby in the tri-state area.
Surrogacy payments are paid throughout the journey, and include a base fee that is paid monthly in nine installments beginning with the confirmation of heartbeat, which occurs around six weeks gestation. Surrogates receive monthly payments that she can use as she sees fit.
Circle Surrogacy was founded in 1995, and since then has brought more than 2,000 babies into the world! Circle's staff is passionate about all things surrogacy and growing families through third party reproduction. In fact, about 40% of Circle's staff are experienced surrogates, egg donors and parents through surrogacy, IVF or adoption. This personal experience provides a unique difference compared to other surrogacy agencies.
The surrogate intake team, specifically, are all experienced surrogates, some of the women have completed three journeys! They are able to answer any and all questions prospective surrogates may have. They can help you understand the surrogacy process, the differences between other surrogacy agencies, and what to expect from a surrogacy journey.
Plus, Circle has built long-standing relationships with industry experts in reproductive law and medicine, and we'll connect you with them when needed. For instance, when it’s time for you to review legal contracts, we’ll recommend an attorney who we’ve worked with previously, and who has a strong working knowledge of Assisted Reproduction Technology law. It’s just one more way we can clear the path for you and make the entire surrogacy program as seamless as possible.
Even before you apply to be a surrogate with us, we can answer questions you have. Just email us and ask away!
Once surrogacy becomes legal in New York, Circle will be ready to start working with surrogate applicants. Circle has an office in New York, as well as 25 years supporting surrogate mothers. Plus, Circle is experienced in New York surrogacy law so you can be confident that you are working with the best surrogacy agency for surrogates.
As a surrogate, it's important that you feel supported at every step of your journey – which may feel a little confusing at times. Circle's experienced staff will help you navigate the screening process, ensure you match you with the perfect intended parent or parents, and guide you through the legal and social work aspects of surrogate parenting.
How do I know that being a surrogate from New York will be safe?
Once surrogacy is made legal, you can be sure that applying with a reputable surrogacy agency will ensure that you are not only supported, but legally cared for. As surrogacy laws become more favorable in more states, Circle has successfully began working with women from those states immediately.
The entire surrogacy process can take anywhere between 14 months to 24 months, depending on many factors of your journey.
Circle has broken down the surrogate process into 6 key milestones:
1. PreScreening. This step lasts about 1-2 weeks and consists of filling out your surrogate application, connecting with a prescreening coordinator, having your medical records reviewed, and having your evaluation and background checks completed.
2. Screening. This step lasts about 1-2 weeks. During this stage you'll have a video call with your social worker, and your spouse/primary support person will have their screening call as well.
3. Matching. This step takes about 1 week to 1 month. You'll have a profile exchange with intended parents, and a video call with them if they are a good fit. If both parties agree after the video call, it's a match!
4. Medical screening & legal contracts. This milestone lasts about 2-3 months. During this time, you'll have your medical screening at the IVF clinic (overnight trip), and you'll do your contract negotiation and finalization with your attorney.
5. Monitoring appointments & embryo transfer. It takes about 3-4 weeks to begin medications, attend your local monitoring appointments and have your embryo transfer.
6. Pregnancy! This stage lasts around 9 months, during which you'll attend your local clinic for beta tests, have an ultrasound at 6 weeks for the confirmation of heartbeat. You'll continue with routine appointments with your OB, all the while developing your relationship with your intended parents that lead up to...delivery day!
Surrogate mothers from New York are in a geographically favorable position, as they are live in once of the most populous states on the east coast.New York Surrogacy Laws
Women from New York will be able to earn up to $60,000 as gestational carriers. Surrogate mother compensation and full benefits include a base fee compensation, plus additional payments for all travel, maternity clothing, housekeeping and monthly miscellaneous expenses that you can use how you see fit.See Surrogate Pay
Becoming a surrogate in New York is an empowering experience. You will be responsible for changing the lives of intended parents by giving them the greatest gift humanly possible. Many of our surrogates build life-long relationships with their intended parents, and they consider each other family.Matching with intended parents
We're happy to answer them! With almost 25 years of supporting women on their surrogacy journeys, we've almost gotten every question out there!