How much do surrogates get paid? This is one of the questions women who are considering becoming surrogate mothers ask our staff in Boston, MA, San Francisco, CA, and New York City. As a surrogate, you have the opportunity to earn between $50,000 and $60,000 in payments and benefits. Surrogate mothers are paid a base fee of between $30,000-$40,000, plus additional compensation and benefits for milestones along their journeys.
With that being said, we understand that each surrogate is different, and we customize our benefits packages based on each situation. This means compensation and benefits before, during, and after pregnancy!
How Do I Get Paid as a Surrogate?
The base fee paid monthly to surrogate mothers come in nine installments beginning with the confirmation of heartbeat, which occurs at around 6 weeks gestation. However, surrogates receive compensation in the time leading up to that for transfers, as well as the medical screening and for signing their contracts as listed below.
What Benefits Am I Eligible for Before Pregnancy?
- $500 Social Work Screening Advance*
- $1,000 Signing Payment*
- $500 Medical Screening Payment*
- $1,000 Medical Clearance to Transfer*
- Paid travel expenses to IVF clinics, plus lost wages or childcare added to your base fee
- $750 per transfer added to your base compensation
- $3,750 in total monetary benefits before pregnancy
*paid from base fee
How Are My Surrogacy Reimbursements Dispersed?
Surrogate reimbursements are divided into equal monthly installments following the confirmation of heartbeat (around the 6-8 week mark). They are paid on the first of every month. If you are carrying multiple children, a multiples fee is paid over the last 5 months. After 34 weeks, the pregnancy is considered viable (32 weeks for multiples). If you deliver before 40 weeks, you are given a lump sum for the remaining balance. The remainder of the miscellaneous fees are distributed at various times throughout the pregnancy and will be discussed in your surrogacy screening.
How Much Do I Make After I Get Pregnant?
These additional benefits are added to your base fee after you’re pregnant.
- $200 / mo Miscellaneous fee ($3,000+ total)
- $500 or $750 (multiples) Maternity clothing
- $400 Housekeeping during last month of pregnancy
- $1,200 (vaginal delivery) or $2,400 (C-section)
- Post-birth recovery
- Social work support
- Independent legal counsel
- Complications insurance
- $250,000 life insurance policy
- Medical and Financial Billing Assistance
The Circle Surrogate Promise
We created the Circle Surrogate Promise because we truly care about our carriers, and we want each of them to have the most successful and rewarding journey possible. We’ve been in your position—our experienced team includes former surrogates in Boston, San Francisco, New York, and Raleigh NC.
In the past, our carriers shared thoughts and improvements with their social workers, or during their exit interviews, and we took all of those conversations and suggestions to heart and improved on our offerings to our gestational carriers.
Guaranteed Pay, Security, and Support
The Circle Surrogate Promise is a program exclusive to Circle Surrogates; no other agency can offer the same level of security and support.
Circle Surrogacy promises:
- Guaranteed Compensation. Circle Surrogacy financially backs its Intended Parents, so a surrogate’s escrow account is always funded to ensure she is always paid in full and on time.
- No medical bill liability. Circle Surrogacy takes on the liability of medical bills. We listened to our past surrogates and their frustrations with medical bills and we’ve made big changes. While we can never stop having you receive medical bills (since you are the “patient”), our new Fixed Cost programs for Intended Parents allow us to protect both the surrogates and the intended parents and ensure all medical bills get paid in a timely manner.
- $5,000 compensation, even if you leave the program. If you are accepted into our surrogate program and you are medically cleared and matched with intended parents—but you don’t achieve a pregnancy—we will compensate you for your time, energy, and dedication based on your unique journey (up to $5,000 total).
- Empowerment in birth choices. Not every gestational carrier has the same desires when it comes to the birth of their surrogate baby. At Circle, our surrogates have choices for preferred birth options, such as doula care, a hospital birth, or using a birth center with a midwife.
- Personalized, small agency feel, with the resources of a large agency. The first person you speak with at Circle will be an experienced carrier. She guides you through the process until you are matched with intended parents, personally introducing you to your dedicated social worker and journey support team. All members of this team are in-house at Circle. You’ll always be supported by a Circle employee, who knows all the details about you and your journey (you’ll never have to worry about working with a third party who doesn’t even know your name!) Plus, with our expanded team, we are able to offer support groups, virtual events, one-on-one surrogate mentorship, and more.
We Also Offer a Referral Bonus!
After becoming a surrogate with Circle, you are eligible to receive the following bonus:
$1,000 for 1 referral
$5,000 for each additional referral
For each woman you refer to our program who meets the requirements below, you will receive a referral bonus. The more women you refer, the more you can earn!
AND, you will receive your bonus even earlier than before! You’ll receive half of your bonus when your referral is matched with her IPs, and the second half when your referral is medically and legally cleared for transfer!
Do I Have to Pay for Anything Related to Being a Surrogate?
The surrogacy process should never become an out of pocket expense for you. The family you match with will pay the fees outlined for you in your screening and agreed upon in the contract, while health insurance (which we’ll ensure works correctly) should cover the majority of healthcare throughout your surrogate pregnancy and birth.
Surrogacy arrangements are built to deliver both financial and emotional rewards for you, the surrogate. The Circle team is here to make sure that’s exactly what happens.
There is a lot of information here, but more is available on the surrogate page of our website. If you’d like to calculate your base fee, you can do so using our compensation calculator and find out for yourself how much do surrogates get paid!
If you’re ready to apply to become a surrogate, fill out an application today!