Surrogacy has been a hot topic in the news for the past few months as states have begun to change their laws around IVF and surrogacy. If you live in California and you’re considering becoming a surrogate mother, you’re in luck. The Golden State is one of the best states in the nation for both surrogates and intended parents.
If you’re looking for how to become a surrogate, it’s important to understand the surrogacy laws in your state. Every state has different surrogacy laws, so it’s important to work with an agency with experience in California law and have knowledgeable lawyers on staff, like Circle!
California’s favorable surrogacy laws have allowed Circle Surrogacy to successfully match surrogates with intended parents since Circle’s inception in 1995.
The statute recognizes contracts for gestational surrogacy arrangements as well as egg, sperm, and embryo donations. The state’s comprehensive law protects the rights of the surrogate, the intended parents,the baby, and the egg donor (if one is needed). Even in cases where the statute is not fully followed, California’s 20-plus years of positive case law tends to fully protect the parties.
Establishing parentage for surrogacy in California is a seamless process for everyone involved. Generally, surrogates in California won’t ever appear in court. Even in cases where a post-birth action is warranted (i.e. intended parents citizenship needs), the surrogate won’t need to appear in court. The parties simply need to review and sign legal documentation and return to the attorneys handling the matter.
Surrogacy Requirements in CA
Surrogate requirements in the Golden State must be met in order for a women to become a surrogate mother with our agency. The requirements for our surrogates can be found on our Surrogate Qualifications page, but we’ve provided even more detail in Surrogacy Requirements: Why Certain Requirements are in Place.
Benefits to Being a Surrogate in CA
There are many benefits to being a surrogate in California. Being a coastal state, California is a hot spot for surrogacy for international and domestic intended parents! Here are some of the top benefits for CA surrogates:
- Location, location, location! Surrogates who live in California are in close proximity to some of the country’s best fertility clinics with whom Circle has established relationships. In some instances, you may be working with intended parents using these clinics, which would reduce the amount of travel you would have to do.
- We provide high compensation with a customized benefits package.
- CA surrogates have the opportunity to build a life-long relationship with forever-grateful intended parents.
- Our surrogates have access to and work with a personal program coordination team and licensed social worker.
- Because of the prime location, California surrogates have the opportunity to work with local and international intended parents!
Are you interested in becoming a surrogate with Circle? Fill our your application today!