A Surrogate’s Journey: Cory – Part 6

This is part 6 in a 6-part series originally posted on Facebook by Circle surrogate Cory Revoldt

September 15th, 2010

Surrogacy Journey – Final Post

By now, most of you already know that I have given birth to the twins!  I gave birth on July 26th (my Grandpa Kelly’s birthday) in the evening.  I had started having some sporadic contractions around 2:30 in the afternoon.  I’d been on bedrest for some time at this point and I was laying on the couch and decided I would move to the bedroom and try and catch some ZZZ’s, because this usually stops the contractions…but, not this time.

They continued for the next 2 hours but I wasn’t too alarmed at first, as they weren’t consistent. When they didn’t stop, I decided to call my doctor and go into the hospital.  At this point, I was still hoping the contractions would just fade, or that my doctor would give me another terbutaline shot and stop the contractions.

Upon arriving at the hospital, I was sent to triage, and had to wait for a bed to be ready. I talked with my doctor and told her my symptoms, and let her know, “Yes, I was contracting but not in any pain.  I was still having trouble getting ahold of my husband Chris, as he was at work.”

My awesome babysitter, Malorie, stayed by my side until Chris arrived and she took our two young girls home. Before Chris got there, the doctor finally checked me. I was 6+ centimeters, and my water was ready to break! There was no going back.

My doctor knew I had hopes for a vaginal delivery as long as baby A was still head down and immediately called for an ultrasound.  And wouldn’t you know it, Baby A had turned, and both twins were transverse. My doctor informed me I would be having a c-section. I truly did not realize how afraid I was of having a c-section until she told me I was having one. I broke down as soon as she said it. Nothing but a blubbering ball of mush!

Once the I.V. was placed, I was fine for a few minutes, but then I started to feel my contractions big time. I was in full on labor. Chris finally arrived, just in time, as they were wheeling me into the surgery room. Chris had to wait outside until my spinal was done and I was fully set for surgery.

The surgery room was full of people. A neonatal team for each of the twins and a team for me! Once they started the surgery, everything happened so fast! They got Baby A, Alma, who was 5 lbs. and then came Baby B, Mika, who was 4 lbs. 14 oz.

Since the intended parents could not get there in time for the delivery, I made sure Chris started taking pictures immediately. I wanted everything documented for them. They were then whisked off to the NICU, and I was whisked off to recovery.

Time Line: Contractions started 2:30 pm, arrived at hospital @ 5:30 pm, gave birth and was in recovery by 7:30 pm. It was quick.

The twins did great! They never needed oxygen. Their father arrived 2 days later, after changing his flight twice and catching a standby flight.  The twins, of course, had some ups and downs in the NICU, but did fantastically! The rest of the twins’ family arrived on the 17th of August, and everyone was so happy to finally meet the twins. The twins only stayed in the NICU for 2 weeks.

The twins and their family went home August 30th, and they are doing great! I get updates and pictures all the time. We consider ourselves family, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  his experience has just been amazing!  C-section and all, I would do it again in a heartbeat!